This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Saturday, November 21, 2015

BookBlogWriMo 2015: Day 7: Favorite/Least Favorite Things To Read About


Today's Topic: Favorite/Least Favorite Things To Read About.


You know, I actually don't really know what to write for this!  Honestly, I read just about anything.  Hmm, maybe I'll talk about my love-hate relationship with different topics in books.


1.  Main character death.  So I recently have read a couple of books where the main character dies.  In all fairness, it was a perfect fit for their characters and a great fit for the story.  It doesn't mean I love reading about it though.  I find that to be one of the most heart-wrenching things when a main character dies.  Even when a supporting character dies.  I love that the author is courageous enough to basically kill off a part of themselves in their writing to stay true to the characters but it just tears my heart out!

2.  The classic science-fiction/fantasy storyline.  Okay, maybe this is just me but it seems like 50% of the science-fiction/fantasy books I read follow a very similar storyline.  Let me lay it out for you:

Girl in regular world meets 'different' guy.
Guy ends up being from supernatural world.
Girl ends up being the 'chosen one' or the 'special one'.
Guy introduces Girl to the new world.
Girl falls in love with Guy.
Dramatic things occur.
Girl and Guy end up together in a happily ever after.

It just annoys me!  And what annoys me even more is that in NaNoWriMo, that's pretty much exactly what I'm doing!  I don't know, maybe it's like the universal Hero's Journey and it's inevitable but I really hate reading books with the same storyline.

3.  Books with ever-changing rules.  I just don't like this at all but I totally understand how it happens.  You're writing a fantasy or science-fiction novel and all of a sudden, your characters are in a tough spot and you have absolutely no idea how to save them but it's vital that you do.  The solution?  Add new capabilities to a hero's weapon that weren't there before and were simply 'hidden' or 'didn't have enough power to work'.  Just define what a weapon or item does and leave it at that!

4.  The larger topic of aliens in general.  Honestly, I have a weird relationship with books with aliens in them.  On one hand, nothing ever seems original in them.  On the other hand, it's really cool to read about other beings from other planets and there's only so much you can do with it.  This is a genre that can go both ways for me but because of that, I'm always leery of it.

5.  Realistic Fiction.  Oh.  My.  Goodness.  This is a genre that I love from the bottom of my heart but I also hate.  Mostly I hate the fact that a lot of realistic fiction I read centers around romance.  It's like there's no other topic worth exploring in the world!  If you know any good realistic fiction books that aren't solely about romance, please let me know the titles because it's driving me insane!  I really love all the books I read from this genre (for the most part) but sometimes it just gets so repetitive and boring!


I'd better cut it off there before it gets too long!  Maybe I'll think about this topic a little more and do a discussion post later.  What are some topics in books that you have a love-hate relationship with?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...