This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Friday, October 17, 2014

Book Review Friday: Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick


Goodreads Blurb:
"WHEN SILENCE IS ALL THAT'S LEFT, CAN THE TRUTH FINALLY BE HEARD?

Nora Grey can't remember the past five months of her life. After the initial shock of waking up in a cemetery and being told that she has been missing for weeks - with no one knowing where she was or who she was with - she tried to get her life back on track. Go to school, hang out with her best friend, Vee, and dodge mom's creepy new boyfriend.

But there is this voice in the back of her head, an idea that she can almost reach out and touch. Visions of angel wings and unearthly creatures that have nothing to do with the life she knows.

And this unshakable feeling that a part of her is missing.

Then Nora crosses paths with a sexy stranger, whom she feels a mesmerizing connection to. He seems to hold all the answers...and her heart. Every minute she spends with him grows more and more intense until she realizes she could be falling in love. Again."




Review:
Ho hum... how to go about this...  I'm not actually sure how I feel about this book.  It was kind of surreal actually reading it which is weird because there's absolutely no reason it should be surreal.  But anyway, while I was reading, I just wasn't concentrating at all.  Luckily, I still managed to scrounge up some general notes about the book!

So the enjoyable things...
I really liked the complex angel and Neph problems going on.  They kept the entire book from being a 'love with triumph' sort of book.  I also loved all the new information on fallen angels and Nephilium.  The author is really doing a good job of keeping their roles and information consistent.  There aren't any confusing sections where I wanted to say 'how did THAT' just happen??  I also loved the villain.  It was totally unexpected (well maybe a little...) and they did an excellent job of doing the villain.

And the not so enjoyable things...
I was so frustrated by Patch and Nora's relationship.  I felt like it wasn't real at all in the first place.  And the amnesia at the beginning, they just felt fabricated.  Like a fake plot point to keep the book going because the author couldn't think of anything else to put.  Also, while I was reading, I felt like it was written in a hurry.  Key details were left out that didn't seem intentional at all.  Things were just... missing.

The Final Verdict:
I loved all the complexity and new information regarding the fallen angels and Nephilium and the villain was amazing.  However, Patch and Nora frustrated me all throughout the book and I just wanted to slap them and say 'just get on with it!'.  Important details pertaining to the plot were also left out.
3.5 stars


Quotes:
“Angel... I don't think you understand the lengths I would go to if it means keeping you here with me."


“I love you.” His voice was straightforward, affectionate. “You make me remember who I used to be. You make me want to be that man again. Right now, holding you, I feel like we have a shot at beating all odds and making it together. I’m yours, if you’ll have me.” 


“You're mine, Angel. And I'm yours. Nothing can change that.” 


“Since we're keeping it primal, you smell good," he observed. 
"It's called a shower...," I began automatically, then trailed off. My memory snagged, taken aback by a compelling and forceful sense of undue familiarity. "Soap, shampoo, hot water," I added, almost as an afterthought. 
"Naked. I know the drill," Jev said, something unreadeble passing over his eyes.”



“If I lose you, I lose everything” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...